Hey guys, need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, need some advice.

Hi all from the other side of the world - really missing gaming with you guys.

Was just hoping for some advice. Vix and I will both be looking to get new computers at some point in the near future but as a bit of a stopgap I decided to put some additional memory for mine. Ordered 8GB RAM (2x4) which I installed in my desktop. As I then had 4GB (2x2) RAM just sat there decided to put it in Vix's computer. Initially everything seemed fine but then her computer just started randomly powering down and re-starting. No idea why this is happening.

Both our computers use DDR3 RAM so it's not that. I'm pretty sure that the RAM itself is ok - As I'm typing this my original RAM is running quite happily in Vix's PC and obviously her old RAM was working just fine. Have swapped them around - no issues. Issue only seems to arise when I put both pairs in.

Power issue? I really don't know.....

As I said we're both looking toward new rigs but any advice in the meantime would be great.

Thanks,

Mike aka ICIP

Go into the BIOS and check the memory is showing up right alll the sticks are the same and all the memory setting are all on auto 1st

Comment

Hi IPD,

Did that already - everything seems to check out in BIOS. I've got it running with 6GB and it's totally stable. Doesn't seem to matter which combination of RAM I use or which sockets - thought at one point one of the sockets may be at fault. Just seems when I hit that 8GB mark it doesn't like it.

I've tried every combination I can think of. Basically can do whatever I want so long as I leave it at 6GB. System specs suggest maximum board will take is 4 per slot so should be well within that.

No idea what's happening - just goes into a cycle of rebooting. Will be stable and working for maybe 5 mins then power down/immediately power up.

Comment

could be a short or something like that in the mem slots on board (eg fine when only 1 / 2 slots used, but more causes a small short after a while (heat expand connection, causing short?)).

Not sure, but if it only happens when all the mem slots are filled that could be a good indication.

Oli

Comment

Working...
        X